Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Open Content cck12

Everyone likes free stuff.  But in open schooling, publishing and software is it really free?  Who pays for the overhead, the programers and the educators?

Some sites offer freeware with an option for a donation.  I believe I read a recent blog where out of 50,000 downloads not one person donated $2.  Sounds awfully cheap.  Personally, I have downloaded open programs and never donated either.  For it's not the small fee, rather it's the hassle and security of sending the donation over the internet.  Eventhough I purchase items online, through trusted companies, I feel uneasy about sending money to a small company.

Open education is the way of the future.  Think about the benefits it would bring to those who wanted an education but couldn't afford it.  If credit was given to open education courses, the big universities would have to change as well or they would crash and burn.  Through open courseware, the content is not static whereas; students can share stories, experiences through social networking.

1 comment:

  1. Meanie - I've just resigned from a software company. One reason is that the NEW owners don't understand the clients. Instead of listening to their requests for new pricing models (e.g., monthly fees) they TRIPLE the startup cost for new users. I'm sure this will deter a lot of new users are scare of existing users.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the same fate falls on universities. Once users (students) are faced with insurmountable costs to join/continue studies and learn that there's value elsewhere, universities will suffer. I wouldn't be surprised if Continuing Ed faculties flourish because at least they have procedures to recognize prior, non-formal learning.

    ReplyDelete