Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Week 4:cck12

I work at Winnipeg Transit as a Bus Operator.  Becoming an operator, one must go through 6 weeks of training.  Initially, trainees are set up with a mentor (an employee with more then three years experience) prior to the start of training.  This forms an initial social connection amongst 1200 or so employees.  From this one connection, others will form quite rapadily.  The mentor is there to help the new employee to adjust both sociallly and within the criteria of  procedures.  I believe this is an example of the contructivist approach to learning.  The new employee learns and takes meaning through the experiences and ideas of the mentor.  Would this also be an example of connected knowledge?  Where, making that one initial connection, you are acccually connecting to everyone else who knows the mentor.  Creating a special node or click, if you will, amognst a larger more vast node.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Meanie, your experience learning how to deal with Bus Operation, reminds me the Nonaka's and Takeuchi's model of Knowledge Management.
    Very intresting to investigate.In few words (it´s a risk) it refers to a spiral where social interaction allows people to share experience (tacit to tacit). Then comes a stage of externalizacion leading de tacit knowledge to explicit one.There are even two mores stages, Combination and Internalization...but I don´t want to bore you.Your personal interests can guide you to read more on the topic.

    I´m used to read from teachers, since I´m one myself, but it´s an enriching experience to read your points of view. You reallly help me prik my bubble!

    Sorry my english (I´m from Uruguay), tried to do my best.

    ReplyDelete